Richmond Aqueduct

Richmond Aqueduct
Second Largest Aqueduct Built on the Enlarged Erie Canal (1856-1917)

Saturday, March 24, 2012


New NYS Historic Site sign along Route 90 near Erie Street

Signs of Spring are early this year and not only have the birds been busy, but we have some new great projects underway at the Montezuma Heritage Park. Two new signs went up this week by the NYS to direct visitors from Routes 31 and 90 to the historic canal sites in the park.

NYS Historic Site sign on Route 31 near High Street

Roof Sections for two new kiosks

Saws have been a-buzzin' at the highway garage where volunteer Design Committee members Dan Randolph and Stan Longyear have been busy building the roof sections for two kiosks to be located at the site of the High Street trailhead of the Byron Lapp Memorial Trail and the Chapman Road trailhead at the Aqueduct Trail.

Once the roof sections were finished, they started  building four new benches for the Byron Lapp Memorial and Aqueduct Trails. Plans are for volunteers to install the new benches on Saturday, April 21 during the Canal Clean Sweep event scheduled to clean up and work on the trails in the park. Both the benches and kiosks were designed by Town Supervisor John Malenick.

Workshop set up at Town Highway Garage
The next project ready to begin are the trail markers. At our Design Committee meeting this week we gave each trail a name, number and color for the signs to go on the markers.  Maps will be created for the kiosks to easily identify the trail locations and their distances.

Funding for this project was made possible by the Creating Healthy Places to Live, Work & Play Grant (funded by the New York State Department of Health).  Thanks to our volunteers NYS, and CHP for making this happen!

No comments:

Post a Comment